Weight loss

Dear Doctors,

I have been having terrible weight loss within the last 3 months just after my exposure,if I do the test now and assuming it's negative can I be sure or at least how much confidence it will give me with regards that this weight loss is not associated with HIV?

thanks

Response from Dr. Hellerstein

The statistics on seroconversion are that 95% of people will seroconvert within 3 months of exposure, by the ELISA test, for almost all strains of HIV. This isn't 100%, but it's close.

There are a lot of reasons for weight loss, of course (including anxiety that you may have become infected!).

Because you are so concerned and have the added symptoms, you probably ought to follow-up over the next several months, at least, as I'm sure you were planning to do.

Marc Hellerstein, M.D., Ph.D.

Drs.
Can I stop testing