Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and hiv

Doctor,' I would like to know if CFS and Fibromylgia acompany HIV, or is it an illness of its own. I'm not quite sure what to make of this...... the to have very similar symtoms. Can you please explain. thanks, John

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The syndromes of CFS and Fibromyalgia are different from each other and different from HIV. They are all controversial. They have many symptoms in common and they are common, so it would not be unusual to have both. However if you have severe fatigue and HIV you need to have a thorough evaluation by your doctor for other infections. Fibromyalgia is being successfully treated by Elavil, Deseryl, and other such mild antidepressants, all of which are generally OK to take if you have HIV. Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Myopathy
urine analysis