Facial Wasting - Viramune vs. Crixivan

Like many HIV positive individuals on HAART, the wasting in my legs and arms has begun to progress to my face. After 3.5 years on Crix/Zerit/Epivir with good results (viral load <50, cd count 500+) my doctor and I are considering switching to Viramune/Zerit/Epivir in order to minimize any further hollowing of my cheeks. Does this make sense to you?

I know there is still much to learn about this syndrome(s, but meanwhile, what other things can I be doing (nutritionally, medically, cosmetically) to minimize facial wasting? What actions are worth a shot until more is known?

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Fisher

Well we still don't know the best strategy for this problem. Enough studies have been done to satisfy me that the switch to viramune is safe (your viral load should remain <50) and might help some of the manifestations of lipodystrophy. This is probably worth a shot.

Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Noticeable fat loss in my cheeks and legs
facial changes!