Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Looking gaunt, but feel good.
Jul 29, 1999

thank you for all of your answers. you probably have no idea of how many people like myself literally worry up at night over some of the symtoms that we end up with!!! after being on crix/azt/3tc for 4 yearsmy doc. did a pheno and a geno. v.l. still under 500, with t-cells 400 took me off azt/3tc as resistance occurred. put me on viracept/d4t/hydrea and ddi. my biggest complaint is a skeletal waisted look in face, arms and legs. you've heard it over and over i'm sure. i feel much better overall(maybe being on azt over 10 years by itself was not good.) but also have started anadrol-50/day, testoderm tts 5mg, protein powder and an L-Arginine, L-Glutamine,HMB supplement called JUVEN to be taken with meals for better absorption. doc. says he sees viracept as being a tiny hairs less lethal than crix. as far as the lipoatrophy and subsequent diabetes. i tell him of my fear of more facial wasting although in 2 weeks since changing meds and working out hard i have gained weight. I feel like i am forth down on the one yard line, time to punt. in this case punting is to throw in human growth hormone which he said might be good for humps, but not filling any in and i am VERY leary of the god-aweful side effects(read horrors---remebemer the late wrestler andre the giant, and the late denver bronco lyle alzado.) i would be happy to just not waste anymore in the face so other employees would not question. i feel ashamed like i have to hide from people now. doc. also said very low dose prednisone might "puff" me out a little and his assistant wondered outloud if "megace" might put fat on. SORRY for all of my rambling questions, but when you're on the one yard line you do what you have to.

Response from Dr. Fisher

We don't know any way to put fat where you want it. This is the most commonly asked question I get about lipodystrophy. Your doctor is giving you good advice by the way. I don't know if megace will put fat where you want it. Prednisone might puff you out and increase your appetite but long-term use is certainly not a good idea. Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Previous
Will Megace help bring back needed fat?
Next
Skinny arms & legs!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.