Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Exercise on limited funds
Sep 21, 1999

I work in the computer industry and spending most of the day just sitting at a computer terminal. My VL is undetectable and CD4 counts at about 480... currently taking Combivir and Sustiva. I haven't been gaining or losing weight, but just walking a few blocks really takes the wind out of me.

I know I need to get some exercise... but what to do? I have very limited funds so I cannot join a gym nor is there a community center anywhere nearby that might be able to offer something cheap. So... what kind of exercise would be best? Walking? Jogging (yuck.. besides my knees won't take it), Pushups? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Response from Dr. Fisher

You don't need money to exercise! You just need motivation! BTG pharmaceuticals have resistance exercise kits (with TheraBands) which your MD can get for you. Memberships at YMCA's are quite inexpensive...exercise equipment is usually available. Some ASO's (AIDS service organizations) have programs to sponsor memberships for PWA's. Good luck and get off the couch. Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Previous
Is Exercise worth it?
Next
Kind of Exercise

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.