Drinking too much Coke

My partner, who is hiv+, usually drinks a 2 liter bottle of coke daily. If he drinks anything else, its sweet tea. He has also had diaherra for several months. Can you give me an indication of what that much coke is doing to him? I continue to try and get him to drink fruit punch and juice or other liquids. Water is out of the question. He will only drink it under duress. Thanks in advance for your response. I appreciate the wonderful service you provide through the different forums.

Response from Dr. Fisher

It's sugar and water and caffeine and bubbles. The sugar has minimal nutritional value. The caffeine has no value. The bubbles make you gassy. When people have severe diarrhea we replace fluids with electrolytes (like with gatorade) and try to avoid the bubbles of carbonation and the caffeine. I have to admit that diet coke is my beverage of choice! Alvan Fisher, M.D.

MENUE FOR DINNER
How many calories to eat