Steroids

I am 27 y/o, hiv+, on a combination of Abacavir, ZDV, 3TC and EFV. I was feeling dizzy, weak, but after I got one shot of deca-durabolin (50 mg)and Sustenon250 this week, I feel great, I want to work, I want to study, go to the gym, and everything, my life is back again. My questions are: Why did it happen??? How often can I continue using those products without making any damage to my system??? My doctor told me I can use it once a month Is she right?? Thanks for your help. Someone from Central America.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Central America, It is not entirely clear why HIV causes testicular atrophy. One hypothesis is that the medication does not cross the barrier into the testicles, so that the virus multiplies untreated and kills testosterone-producing cells. That may also explain why semen can contain HIV even if the blood tests are negative. Usually people take this replacement about every 2 weeks and there is no limit to how long you can take it. Glad you are feeling better! DTD

May anabolic steroids produce inmunesuppression?
DNA PCR