liver metabolism and protease inhibitors

I have been on Norvir/AZT/3TC for the past 13 months and in that time my cholesterol level has jumped from 89 prior to treatment to 358. Prior to HIV infection, the level never exceeded 150. My doctor and I are now concerned over this development and how to treat it. He wants to avoid more drugs. I am taking enough now. I have avoided the fatty diet that many take to aid in dealing with the Norvir. The combo treatment has done its job in the HIV area as my Tcells were 2 and now 108 and the viral load is undectable. Just trying to find out what others are doing in similiar situations. Thanks

Response from Dr. Cohen

High triglycerides (which will make your cholesterol high, too) is quite common when you're on protease inhibitors, including ritonavir. In the average young adult, it's probably not a big problem, but if (for example) you were an older man with cardiac risk factors (high blood pressure, smoking, diabetes) it might be cause for concern.

It has not generally been recommended you use lipid lowering agents to lower the cholesterol and triglycerides, but everyone admits that we don't know very much about this problem.

protease inhibitors and children
treatment with viracept (nelfinavir)