cholesterol

My cholesterol shot up to 286 just recently.Ive never had this problem.I am on crixivan ,3tc,azt,famvir.Are any other pwas having this trouble out of the blue

Response from Dr. Cohen

In standard chemistry panels, a high cholesterol may actually be due to high triglycerides , which is a much more common side effect of protease inhibitors than high cholesterol, and less dangerous. By just checking the cholesterol, however, you can't really tell which is elevated. When you're faced with a high cholesterol, the way to sort this out is to check a fasting lipid profile (blood is drawn in the morning after an overnight fast). That will tell you what the triglycerides are, and will break down the cholesterol into the HDL ("good") and LDL ("bad") forms of cholesterol.

two Protease drugs
Low carbohydrate diet