DDI and Eating Problems?

I have been on a combination therapy which includes DDI for approximately 4 months. I have experienced difficulty in swallowing and eating since beginning the regimen. I have lost close to 30 pounds in the last 4 months. I have heard that DDI can cause these problems and was wondering if that is really the case. I am hesitant to change my regimen as it is working well. I am getting mixed advice from my health care providers on what to do. Can DDI cause these problems to such an intense degree?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It's hard to answer with out more data, however DDI usually does not cause swallowing problems. It usually causes diarrhea. What do you mean it is working well? I assume that it is lowering the HIV viral load. Swallowing problems should be addressed with either an endoscopy a barium swallow or both. I doubt that DDI is the culprit. Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Fascian
Stupid Question?