Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is it worth changing?
Mar 6, 2000

Dear Doctor,

thanks for this forum and answering my question. I am an 44 year old male and on Haart (zerit,epivir,viracept}for a little over 2 years now.

my viral load is below 400 copies and T4 count between 700-900.(sustained for the haart duration.) I noticed for a few month now some lipodystrophy in arms, legs and face. Its not too bad yet. I can deal with it. But I am very worried its getting worse. This is my first combo. Was initially infected in 1997. I am thinking of changing the combo to a non-D4T containing regimen. Do you think it's worth giving it a try and would I be able to sustain my excellent virological response? Thanks again!

WG

Response from Dr. Fisher

You could try a regimen without d4t and possibly without viracept...but the jury is still out and we do not know for sure whether this will help long-term with respect to lipodystrophy.

Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Previous
Fat replacement surgery for my face
Next
weight loss

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.