Is it worth changing?

Dear Doctor,

thanks for this forum and answering my question. I am an 44 year old male and on Haart (zerit,epivir,viracept}for a little over 2 years now.

my viral load is below 400 copies and T4 count between 700-900.(sustained for the haart duration.) I noticed for a few month now some lipodystrophy in arms, legs and face. Its not too bad yet. I can deal with it. But I am very worried its getting worse. This is my first combo. Was initially infected in 1997. I am thinking of changing the combo to a non-D4T containing regimen. Do you think it's worth giving it a try and would I be able to sustain my excellent virological response? Thanks again!

WG

Response from Dr. Fisher

You could try a regimen without d4t and possibly without viracept...but the jury is still out and we do not know for sure whether this will help long-term with respect to lipodystrophy.

Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Fat replacement surgery for my face
weight loss