Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fat replacement surgery for my face
Mar 13, 2000

I have facial wasting. I would like to know if you know of people who have had fat taken from one part of their body to fill in their face? If so, how common is it, how much is it, is it safe, does it look normal? The problem is also that I don't have much fat on my body to take it from. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There is very little formally published on this, unfortunately. I know of many people who have tried a procedure like what you describe, however. The anecdotal experience is mixed. Most people seem to have the transplanted fat dissipate over time. This is a great disappointment. Some others have reported good results, however.

The particulars depend upon where you live, what your insurance is, etc. You will have to call around, or ask your doctor, to get a price and to learn whether there is anyone with a real experience doing this in your area.If the fat transplantation takes, it should look fine. There should always be some fat to take (especially in the belly region, in most people).

The main problem is that it's impossible for me to know if this really works, of if it is reversed by the body relatively quickly!

Previous
Some help with facial wasting
Next
Is it worth changing?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.