Facial wasting

Hello and thanks for your help. I am HIV+ and have been on meds for the last 7 years. I have noticed a considerable loss of fat in my face. It is the sunken cheek look. I have been to a plastic surgeon and his first reaction was to do a fat transplant. However, my body fat is so low that there is not enough fat to transfer. He recommended Fascian (hope I have the spelling right), versus collagen, which I have done in the past. I was wondering what your experience was with this. Does it last and do you have any idea of the cost. By the way I am 6' about 195lbs and in good health.

Thanks

Neal

Response from Dr. Fisher

Unfortunately I do not have any experience with this product. I have heard that collagen implants may not last which seems to be your experience. If you can tell me what "fascian" actually is I will try to find out more. The surgeon should at least fully explain the cost.

In general I have been fairly pessimistic about the interventions to correct facial fat wasting.

Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Looking For Mr.
Lipodystrophy