|strategies for managing lipid abnormalities
Apr 17, 2000
What kind of interventions are commonly being used to treat elevated triglyceride/ cholesterol levels among people on HAART?
Is any particular dietary advice effective?
What is the role of exercise and lipid lowering drugs?
Response from Dr. Fisher
1. Definitely a low-fat diet. But this is slow and does not work for everybody. Which is why we have an epidemic of high cholesterol in the USA.
2. Definitely exercise. Aerobic helps keep down LDL cholesterol while raising HDL cholesterol which is what we want. Resistance exercise helps build muscle.
3. Drugs...statins like LIPITOR or PRAVACHOL will probably help and seem to be safe in people with HIV on antiretrovirals. Avoid Zocor if taking norvir because of a serious drug interaction which raises zocor blood levels to dangerously high levels.
The fibrate drugs like gemfibrozil and fenofibrate are probably less effective than the statins, but may especially help lower triglycerides (more so that cholesterol)
4. evaluate your antiretrovirals. Norvir is most associated with elevating both cholesterol and TG.
Hope this helps
Alvan Fisher, M.D.
Lipodystrophy or HIV
Essential absorption and HIV
- Itchy Rash After Sex With Hooker Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Scrotum After Sex With Stripper Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Purple Spots After Sex With Stripper Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Hole In Condom Worried I Have HIV
- White Tongue After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.