using adderal, dexadrine, along with hiv meds

I am poz, 36, healthy, and about to start a new hiv combo. Problem is I also have severe a.d.d. It was never treated when I was younger, am being treated for it now. It has improved my life greatly, as well as my energy and my usual state of uncalm. Problem is I am afraid to tell my doc I am on them (from shrink) and afraid to tell shrink I am poz (although, I think he knows). I am not on a strong dose, and it isn't interfering with my sleep. Will these stimulants greatly affect my health in a bad way? I am much happier...

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear A.D.D.

I don't think that these meds will be a problem with HIV meds. We used to use ritalin all the time in HIV for depression and low energy. However where you are making a big mistake is not leveling with your doctors. You can get into trouble if they don't know about each others' medications. They are there to serve you, not to judge you and can't do that effectively if they don't have all the information. Besides half the doctors in the world have ADD and could probably benefit from some ritalin. Tell the truth! It can't hurt. Good Luck! Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

will this
Alcohol and HIV