Do I need a new doctor?

I'm a 39yo, HIV+ for 2.5 yrs. About a year ago, I approached my doctor about the veins in my arms and legs, he said it was due to my rigorous exercise program and that I was losing weight. But my weight remains constant (185) and I'm 6'2". Recently I noticed my face caving in and from reading your forum, it's probably because of the zerit. I've been on Sustiva, Epivir and Zerit for about 2 yrs now. V/L undetectable (<50)from 300,000 and T's are up to 650 from 223. I can't believe he didn't see this coming. And now I read that this is not a reversible process short of plastic surgery. I guess I'm just irritated at him right now and need to vent, I have an appt. with him next week and will ask him about switching to stop this process. As Fernando Lamas said, "It's better to look good than to feel good." and right now I look like HELL.

Response from Dr. Fisher

Well I don't agree with Fernando. Your doctor actually may have saved your life by treating you with antiretroviral therapy. And you have no way to know what changes might have occured to your body if you were on a non-zerit regimen. I've seem too many people die from AIDS over the last 17 years...they really did not look good...so keep some perspective please. None of us knew two years ago that zerit is responsible for this problem; indeed we don't know this now...it is a theory, not fact! And these changes can occur and have occured in people taking other antiretrovirals. Unfortunately we don't know what to do at this point. You could try a different regimen and see what happens, for example. Or try to be patient with the slow pace of research into treatment for lipodystrophy...we are learning things, though slowly. Good luck, talk to your doctor, try not to blame him too much. Alvan Fisher, M.D.

JUVEN
Is Surgery Indicated for Llipomas?