high protein diet for wasting

my roommate is currently recovering from wasting syndrome. he lost about 40+lbs within 2 months. he has lost strength in his body and i have become his care-giver. everyday, i give him a high calorie, protein shake to give him that extra nutritional and protein boost. the ingredients are: soy protein, nutritional yeast, wheat germ, soy lecithin, bee pollen, yogurt and fruits. it is high in calories, vitamins, and replenishes his friendly bacteria. i've estimated that the shake is about 75% protein. he consumes this only once a day along with fresh fruits and veggies. what else can you recommend i add to the list?

p.s. he's only been taking the protein shake for about 2 weeks but i've seen dramatic results with his weight gain.

would you please post my recipe.per serving-1 cup plain yogurt, 2 scoops soy protein, 2tbs bee pollen, 2tbs soy lecithin, 1tbs nutritional yeast, 1tbs wheat germ, 1 banana, handful of any berries. thank you, bob

Response from Dr. Hellerstein

It sounds like you are doing a great job in helping your roommate keep up his nutritional intake. In my view, the specific ingredients are not as important as the general effect: more calories, more protein, and more micronutrients. You are clearly helping in this basic way and the shake sounds to be palatable to him.

I wasn't sure from your note if he is also eating well, in addition to this supplement. It is of course important not to rely on one source, like a shake, too much. He may develop taste fatigue of it, or you may go on vacation, etc. Plus, no single shake can provide everything that a person needs. So he should keep trying to find ways to maintain his food intake.

You also ought to weigh your roommate on a regular basis (same time of day, same scale, same clothing state), if this is feasible, to document how well the plan is working.

But keep up the great work!

Marc Hellerstein, M.D., Ph.D.

Fascian Nightmare
What is Testosterone %Free?