Protein requirement

How much protein does a HIV+ person who exercises regularly need daily? I've heard 0.5 gr per body weight up to 1.0. I want to maximize growth and repair without damage to my kidneys, etc...

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Protein needs are generally linked to protein turnover in your body. Exercise doesn't wildly increase the amount you need. But you will need enough to handle regular turnover, activity, and inflammatory disease. Interestingly, the "average American" diet provides a high level of protein... generally higher than the levels you mentioned. You can get a diet evaluation to estimate what you need compared to what you usually consume. It may be worth the trouble to keep track for a few days.

How likely am I to develop lipodystrophy?
abdominal fat