The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Any medicine for lower triglycerides?
Apr 5, 2001

Dear Dr., Is there any medicine for reducing triglycerides which can be bought in normal drug-store? since I'm infected two years agao, my triglycerides increase greatly, I realy duffer from it. Pls give a advice! Thanks!


Response from Dr. Fisher

There are two classes of prescription meds that might help. The fibrates such as gemfibrozil (lopid) or fenofibrate (tricor) are indicated to control elevated TG. Of the statins, the drugs primarily used for cholesterol, atorvastatin (lipitor) seems to be moderately successful in lowering TG. The fibrates might cause lactic acidosis, but that is a rare complication. The statins might cause liver problems, but again that is a rare complication. I do not know anything that is available without a prescription that will lower TG. Except for exercise and low-fat eating. These do not require a prescription! AF

One answer for facial wasting

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint