The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sunken cheeks, Leg & Buttocks Wasting
Apr 5, 2001

Hi. I wanted to know if you could give me some pointers on getting back my lower body shape, i.e. my legs & buttocks are mere toothpicks and it's really painful to sit down because my buttocks is so bony. Also, I have facial wasting and am experiencing sunken cheeks, deepened wrinkles, and I look really tired. I read in POZ Magazine that polylactic acid was being used to "regain one's face" by injecting it into the cheeks. I would appreciate any information you could give me & also any studies I could participate in because I can't afford plastic/reconstructive surgery. I live in Louisville, KY, but would travel for the study. THANK YOU SO MUCH !!

Response from Dr. Fisher

I just answered a question on polylactic acid. In a nutshell: I don't think this is available yet in the US and I would love additional information. Other techniques that have been tried for facial wasting include facial implants, collagen injections, fat tissue transplantation. But no concrete info on any of these techniques has yet to emerge. As for the lower body we are similarly at a loss for definite interventions. Some of us are trying megace in an attempt to put on weight that is predominantly fat. Don't know if that will work: namely will the fat go where we want it to go? Keep tuned for further info in the future. AF

Re: Facial Wasting question form Jan 2/01 - AF
lipodystrophy treatment

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint