Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re: Facial Wasting question form Jan 2/01 - AF
Apr 5, 2001

An article on pg. 52 of Jan/01 issue in POZ deals with facial wasting. Polylactic acid, a substance that promotes new formation of collagen, a skin protein was injected into 26 male HIV patients every two weeks(two injections in each cheek, a total of 3cc). The results were very good. 22 of the 26 men said that their faces were once again their faces and physical exams and ultrasound showed dramatic increases in skin layer thickness after 3 to 6 months of treatments.

Response from Dr. Fisher

I too read that article in Poz. However I have not heard from any of my colleagues of any patient who tried this. I do not think this material is available in the US yet. It was developed in France and may be available here at some time. I eagerly await additional info. AF

Previous
exercise induced diarrhea
Next
Sunken cheeks, Leg & Buttocks Wasting

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.