Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HDL too high?
Jul 7, 2004

during my most recent blood test my doctor informed me that my HDl cholesterol was too high, I didn't even know this was possible. what can I do besides statins to get this lower, I am also wasting and my weight is down to 124lbs at 5'9" tall, so I need to eat much more to attempt to regain my weight. sounds like a catch-22 can you offer any reccomendations?

Response from Dr. Moyle

I've never really known the HDL to be too high....it could be above the 'normal range' but one would expect, based on the way normal ranges are established that 2.5% of samples would lie above the normal range. You don't need to reduce it and if anything a statin would only increase it further. It suggests you have 'good genes' and that you should have little cooncern about you choices of fod to regain weight...just eat more of what you enjoy....that's no catch 22 regards Graeme moyle

Previous
hospital
Next
New-fill provider

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.