Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cholesterol/risks of statins
Jun 17, 2004

Hi, Dr. Moyle,

I have had consistently high cholesterol for over a year now - in the 238 to 240 range. My Triglycerides have been erratic, sometimes above normal,sometimes below.

My doctor refuses to prescribe a statin to reduce cholesterol, even though my diet is good and I walk a lot. What is the thresshold for prescribing statins and are there any risks in not taking them in my case? Also, do the statins cause side effects? (One of my liver enzymes is 20% above normal, though my doctor declines to say whether that is the reason he doesn't want to prescribe a statin drug).

I'd really appreciate your guidance here.

Many thanks and regards.

Response from Dr. Moyle

We generally follow the national cholesterol education program guidelines http://www.cholesterol-tests.com/NCEP_Guidelines.html

together withn a Framingham risk calculator http://hin.nhlbi.nih.gov/atpiii/calculator.asp?usertype=prof

If you 10 year risk of heart disease is >15-20% this is an indication to treat. An isolated high cholesterol (yours is not particularly high, and you may have lots of good HDL cholesterol amongst it) with no additional risk factors would be unlikely to put you in the intervention range

I hope this helps

Regards

Graeme Moyle

Previous
tested
Next
Understand how this goes?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.