New hope?

I read the recent study on rosiglitazone and positive results for treatment of lipoatrophy. Do you think more studies need to be done before Drs start commonly prescribing to treat lypo or is this real hope? It would be so great to be able to see even the smallest improvement in my ropy legs and arms. Best, Rick

Response from Dr. Moyle

The short term study from Boston is one of the smallest and shortest studies opf rosiglitazone and the only randomised one to see any success. Studies by Sutinen (AIDS 2003) and Carr (Lancet 2004) are larger, longer and completely negative. In fact, they suggest potential harm by raising lipids. The group from Boston, led by Dr Grinspoon, point out that their study chose people with established insulin resistance (a kind of pre-diabetic state) and this unique atribute of their patients may have made the difference between studies. I am sceptical of this (see Moyle & Sutinen Lancet 2004, available on line) and at present think there is no value for using Rosiglitazone. There are some other studies on going so we should get some more data over the next 6 months....whether that will settle the arguement is not clear

Kind regards

Graeme Moyle

Plastic Surgeon for Lypodystrophy
sustiva + gileads nukes