Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Surgery vs. Serostim
Jun 7, 2004

I am 48 years old, HIV-positive since at least 1987, and have been very well, thanks to good medicine and a good doctor. My neck size has been increasing over the past few years, and in addition, I have a slight "buffalo hump." I usually believe in the philosophy that less is more, so I haven't been eager to have surgery or to try Serostim because I always believed I could cope with what is essentially a cosmetic problem. However, over the past few months, it seems to have dominated my self-image. My doctor is great, and he and I have discussed the options, but I'm still not sure which - plastic surgery or HGH - would be better. Or is there somehing else I don't know about? As I mentioned, I'm not enthusiastic about either option, especially since I've heard surgery may have to be repeated, and the effects of HGH may wear off after you stop taking it. I'd appreciate any thoughts you have. Thank you for your time and commitment.

Response from Dr. Moyle

Surgery is the more definitive option. As you rightly say, the reported benefits of serostim are good but often transient. The results I have seen from surgical 'debulking' are in fact rather good, although partial recurrence is reported. The operations are generally short and can potentially be done as a day case so it is not such a drama.

I hope this helps

Graeme Moyle

Previous
Videx EC
Next
can i??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.