Videx EC

Hello Dr Moyle, I am currently on a Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC regimen after switching from Zerit to Epivir 9 months ago. Does Videx EC contribute to facial wasting? I had moderate facial wasting on Zerit and have not seen any improvement switching to Videx EC. Should I continue taking Videx EC along with Epivir and Sustiva? Is this a good combination for facial fat recovery? Mike

Response from Dr. Moyle

The answer appears to be no. In the FTC301 trial a combination of FTC/ddI/Efavirenz was associated with fat gain and an increase in waiste-hip ratio over 1 year where as the reverse was seen in the group taking d4T/ddI/Efavirenz. This suggests the problem is the thymidine analog, especially d4T, and that ddI (and efavirenz and FTC) are not diectly involved. There have not been any formal studies of switching to ddI based regimens to assess if lipoatrophy inproves after the switch

I would stick with this new combination for is easy to take and should help some fat to recover over time

Kind Regards

Graeme Moyle

swiching Efavirenz to more suitable med.
Surgery vs. Serostim