Perpetuation of lipoatrophy

My current meds are Ziagen, Kaletra and Viread (switched from Videx 1 mo. ago). My lipoatrophy has been progressing fairly slowly (~3 yrs.), but recently it seems to be gaining momentum and getting worse on a weekly basis. Since, over the years, I have been on all of the "usual suspects" for causing lipoatrophy (i.e. Zerit, AZT and Videx)does lipoatrophy just keep perpetuating itself once the process has started? Do I just need to be more patient with my expectations of any slowing down/stopping of the syndrome? Also, is there any word on broader availability of Newfill in the US, I know it was FDA approved late in March '04 but the doctors/surgeons I have contacted know very little about it. And finally, thanks to all of you for your unwavering commitment to helping those of us with HIV. You are the compassionate soldiers fighting a monster of a battle.

Response from Dr. Moyle

I suspect a lot of patience is required although it would be worth considering, based on any past resistance revising the Kaletra to atazanavir/ritonavir, if nothing else this would reduce pill burden and may help lipids and diarrhoea.

As you say Newfill/Sculptura is approved in the US. It may be worth looking at the US manufactures website (Dermik Labs, see link) I'm not sure where you live but you could try

Dr. Doug Mest and Dr. Gail Humble at Blus Pacific on 310-374-0347

or contact your local support oganisation where there may be experience

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Graeme Moyle

Oxandrin / Fascial Wasting
subcutaneous lumps in torso and arms