The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

May 27, 2004

my b/f is 5 10 tall, 210 lbs and 43 yrs old.He has got an exagerated belly gained last 7-8 yrs. He thinks he got it cuz' of his drinking habits of that time. He have heard about liposuction, and recently talked to a doctor about the possibilities of undertakin such a surgery.The doctor he talked to, told him that because of his(my b/f's) short neck and very large shoulders the surgery would rapresent a very high risk even for his life.So he absolutely disrecommended the surgery. I would like to know if there is any connection between the features my b/f's got( shoulders and neck....) and the kind of intervention he is willing to do in order to lose weight.

Thank you in advance for your time, I remain

Respectfully S.Santo

Response from Dr. Moyle

I have never heard of body build being an obstacle to surgery. The usual contra-indications are heart and lung disease. The surgeon maybe concerned by the history ofhigh alcohol intake. If the fat is subcutaneous grabable fat it could be suited to liposuction. If it is inside the belly then it would not be amenable to surgery. Most fat gain can be managed by careful attention to diet and exercise. Stopping drinking and starting a diet rich in fruit and vegetables and low in animal fats plus a regular (minimum 30mins, 3X/week) exercise regimen may help eliminate the belly. This is a rather cheap and easy way to avoid expensive and unnecessary surgery.


Graeme Moyle

Does AZT contribute to facial wasting?
Oxandrin / Fascial Wasting

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint