Does AZT contribute to facial wasting?

I am currently on Viread and Trizavir. I have been dealing with the fat loss problem for 5 years. My Dr. says this combo has the least side effects. But my skin gets thinner and thinner and I look tired all the time. Is removing AZT going to help?? Maybe switching it out for something else?? I take many antioxidants, vitamins, etc. Are there any effective things out there to regain the fat??

Thanks. G from Miami

Response from Dr. Moyle

Dear G

The data in this regard are conflicting...there have been reports of some fat recovery after d4T to AZT switch but also plenty of reports of fat loss on AZT regimens and some data of fat recovery after d4T or AZT switch to Abacavir. So dropping the AZT may help but, and this is a big but, abacavir, 3TC, viread is not an adequate combo to remain on so there would have to be a replacement for the AZT. This will depend on your past experience but efavirenz would be one choice, atazanavir another. Reults from switching are slow to be observed, allow 1-2 years to see any benefits. Regards antioxidants, they do no harm but there is no evidence of benefit...the things most often considered are riboflavin, ubiquinone (Co-Q10), thymine, folic acid and L-carnitine. Most of these are water soluble (hence are rapidly lost in the urine) so I generally feel it is best to get them from a balanced diet, one high in fresh fruit, vegetables, Omega-3 oils and fibre.

I hope this helps

Regrads

Graeme Moyle

Bio-Alcamid research information
liposuction