Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bio-Alcamid research information
May 27, 2004

Dear Dr. Moyle, I have been in touch with Ellen Hahn at Clicic' Esthetica and she suggested that you may have info to share on clinical &/or safety studies on Bio-Alcamid. If not perhaps you could direct me to a responsible source. I am seriously considering having my facial wasting treated with this product but can find very little info on the net. Medline & Medline Plus had zero, MedPub had 4 hits but only one article. I am nurse and can handle reading the medical research. Any info or direction would be greatly appreciated. She also stated that she believed that Bio-Alcamid is approved for facial wasting in England. Can you confirm? Respectfully yours Joseph Theriot New Orleans LA PS here is Ellen's e-mail Dear Joseph, You had asked for scientific data and there are 3 or 4 abstracts at PubMed that pop up with a search, but if you want some serious data, you might want to contact Dr. Graham Moyle (he is one of the experts at www.thebody.com ). I know he is very familiar with Bio-Alcamid, and of course, England has approved it for HIV facial wasting I believe.

You commented on no temple shots, and you are right, so I went and put some together and submitted to our webmaster if you get this, let me know, and Ill send them to you directly.

Ellen Hahn Administrator Clinic'estetica 619-734-2356 Clinic from USA 619-393-5440 Fax Mailing address: 3707 Fifth Ave, Ste 130 San Diego, CA 92103 Clinic: 2468 Jose Clemente Orozco Zona Rio, Tijuana

Response from Dr. Moyle

I really don't think that there is any ststematic research completed in HIV with Bioalcamid. There are certainly plans to do some. Most of what is out there is anedotal, the outcomes of plastic surgery are in the eye of the beholder but certainly the anecdotes are favourable. The injections are uncomfortable at the time but the aesthetic results good and the agent appears better than newfill for filling the deeper 'holes'. Arguements pro and con exist for permanent vs. biodegradeable susbtances. The fact that Bioalamid can be at least partially removed helps overcome one arguement against non-biodegradeable substances. I suggest 'google' (and thebody.com) may be more helpful than medline for finding further information

Regards Graeme Moyle

Previous
HAART Combos
Next
Does AZT contribute to facial wasting?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.