Abacavir the Answer ???

Dear Dr Moyle.

Having just read that a study in Spain had shown that people taking Abacavir have seen a change in thier fat loss after two years,do you think it might be a possible option for me ?

I have been on Kaletra and Nevarapine since June 2001,previously I have taken AZT,ddc,indinavir,3tc,d4t,norvir and efavirenz,I had no resistance problems to any of these except that AZT/ddc didn't work and efavirenz drove me crazy.I have a T-cell count of 320 and a viral load of below 50 !!

My lipodistrophy is very severe.So could abacavir be an option for me or is it too early to say if this drug really can improve someones Lipodistrophy ?

Thanks Allot,

Roger,Netherlands.

Response from Dr. Moyle

Probably not. If you are just taking a PI and NNRTI this should allow fat to recover. Whilst still under investigation, it is most likely the removal of d4T or AZT from the regimen that is critical to fat recovery, not the inclusion of the abacavir. Kind regards Graeme Moyle

Actos and belly fat
HIV Wasting and Diabetes