Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

killing muscle cells
May 4, 2004

Hi Cade,

Do you believe there are cases where a person has no problem with absorption, caloric-protein intake, diarrhea, fatigue, reduced strength or physical ability, yet, still has muscle wasting due to HIV actually infecting and then killing off muscle cells similar to the way HIV infects and kills off cd4 cells? I know TNF-alpha is a suspected culprit in wasting, but has anyone investigated the possiblity I propose?

Thank you.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

I wandered through a bit of literature to check it out and didn't find anything that suggested your theory has been investigated. There was some information on the potential for HIV to affect the activities of smooth muscle cells (like you find in the heart), but not as a wasting catalyst. So, I would have to say that it may not have been investigated specifically to my knowledge.

Unless the investigation is specific to HIV infection in muscle cells, I think that we are using the more general connection is the inflammatory response that the body produces when faced with infection or injury initiates that hormonal and other changes to protect itself. This includes some breakdown of protein tissues (mostly muscle) to build up an amino acid pool for the body to use to protect itself. The amount of breakdown is related to the severity of the inflammatory response and the infection or injury challenge.

Previous
INSULIN RESISTANCE
Next
Vegetarian Diet

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.