INSULIN RESISTANCE

I have been reading alot of your responses and you are very good, One question I am insulin resistant no meds etc, all of the experts I have spoken to say that hiv has no bearing on insulin resistance doesnt cause it or effect it, but in one of your earlier comments you stated it can make it worse true or not

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Insulin resistance can be one of the many changes that occurs when the body reacts to infection or injury, particularly if the reaction is chronic (as in HIV infection). So, insulin resistance is a possibility in chronic HIV infection.

There are often many things that contribute to insulin insensitivity, including changes in fat and weight, medications, smoking/drinking, and family history among others. I suspect that insulin resistance may be very mild in some cases and pretty severe in others.

Hope that helps!

Changing Meds
killing muscle cells