Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

INSULIN RESISTANCE
May 4, 2004

I have been reading alot of your responses and you are very good, One question I am insulin resistant no meds etc, all of the experts I have spoken to say that hiv has no bearing on insulin resistance doesnt cause it or effect it, but in one of your earlier comments you stated it can make it worse true or not

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Insulin resistance can be one of the many changes that occurs when the body reacts to infection or injury, particularly if the reaction is chronic (as in HIV infection). So, insulin resistance is a possibility in chronic HIV infection.

There are often many things that contribute to insulin insensitivity, including changes in fat and weight, medications, smoking/drinking, and family history among others. I suspect that insulin resistance may be very mild in some cases and pretty severe in others.

Hope that helps!

Previous
Changing Meds
Next
killing muscle cells

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.