Lipoatrophy/Lipodystrophy!

Can you please explain the difference between lipoatrophy and lipodystrophy. I am a black South African female who's been on Kaletra and stocrin since November last year. What are my chances of developing this lipoatrophy on this regimen and what can I do to avoid/correct it. I have been on AZT, 3TC, Videx and Zerit before. Had treatment interruption last in 2002 and only re-started last year in November. During this time I picked up weight which I seem to be losing since back on treatment.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Moyle

lipodystrophy is the syndrome of abnormal fat distribution including both lipohypertrophy (fat accumulation) and lipoatrophy (fat wasting or loss). Given that there may be influence from past treatments on the risk on a new regimen its hard to say if there is risk with the regimen you are taking. That being said, it is mainly the nucleoside analogue drugs that are associated with fat loss....you are not taking any of this so the regimen should be low risk

regards

Graeme Moyle

cheek "demples"
Taking Sustiva on a full Stomach