Viread, Epivir and Kaletra?

This week I received your update. It suggested that Viread is tied to lypodystrophy. I am on a combination of Viread, Epivir and Kaletra. I have handled the medication very well. The big D is the only problem. Immodium handles that though. My concern is I have been positive for seven months. It took that long to get non-detectable after starting treatment right away. What should I do? If the lipodystrophy starts, how fast and can you revers it? Thanks

Response from Dr. Moyle

I have never suggested that viread is linked to fat loss. Your diarrhoea would most likely resolve with a switch away from Kaletra to either saquinavir (new 500mg tabs out soon) or atazanavir each with ritonavir. Lipodystrophy is uncommon in the first 12-18 months. On a Viread regimen the rate is <3% at 3 years and there are anecdotes of fat recovery on Viread. I wouldn't about this as yet. Regards Graeme Moyle

Looking Tired All the Time
Is it lipodystrophy or not