please help me

I am at present on combivir and viramune I live iN Spain. I would like you to advice me if there are better medications to control lypodystrophy. To commence treatment I was on epivir zerit and viracept. I told my doctor I was experiencing serious lipodystrophy on my stomach face arms and legs. She changed my treatment to my current one of viramune and combivir. I have only been taking it for about 6 weeks but am feeling tired and out of breath. Please advice

Response from Dr. Moyle

Sometimes treatments with AZT (such as combivir) can give fatigue and may also trigger anemia (which could cause shortness of breath). Your doctor should check your haemoglobin. There is limited evidence to say that switching d4T to AZT helps improve lipodystrophy. The bulk of evidence for switching is from d4T (or AZT) to abacavir. Aside from an allergic reaction in 5% of persons abacavir is a generally very well tolerated drug and will soon be available as a single once daily tablet with 3TC (kind of like combivir). Switching over to this drug from AZT may be the best option in the long term Regards Graeme Moyle

Zerit vs. Ziagen/Viread
Abacavir vs Tenofovir