Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

LYPOSUCTION
Mar 25, 2004

How do I know if I'm a good candidate for Liposuction? And can you help with fat hanging from my lower stomach?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Liposuction is a surgical procedure and carries with it the risks of surgery, such as infection and other risks. Fat can be removed by this method if it is "subcutaneous" or just under the skin. The fat that can be removed, then, is the fat you can pinch up from your belly. If you can't pinch it, then it is probably not subcutaneous and the fat may be deposited in and amongst your muscle and organ tissues... not the liposuctionable kind.

As for pinchable fat hanging from your belly, you will first want to talk with your doctor and dietitian to make sure it is the typical "stored calorie" kind and then you can work on it from that angle: calorie and physical activity balance. It would be good to give that a try before risking surgery.

Best wishes!

Previous
Question on Lipoatrophy
Next
Eliminating lipodistrophy thur surgery?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.