Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nucleomaxx & lipoatrophy
Mar 22, 2004

Hello Doctor, Is there any evidence that Mitocnol(Nucleomaxx)is helpful in reversing lipoatrohy? Are there currently any studies looking into this or planned for uridine? I am interested in trying the supplement, but it is quite pricey when you consider that it's effects are only known in vitro.Many thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Moyle

Dr Ulrich Walker from Frieberg in Germany has demonstrated that uridine rescues cellls from mitochondrial toxicity of NRTIs. I believe he has a 'use patent' for this and is planning some pilot trials and potentially larger trials. The areas of interest include preventing lactic acidosis, treating neuropathy and treating/preventing lipodystrophy. The right doses have not been established and there is not evidence that it will work in humans. My thought is that is is best to wait until the risk/benefit of the supplement is established through well conducted trials regards

graeme moyle

Previous
re. Lipoatrophy PLEASE HELP
Next
Availability of Bio-Alcamid in US or Canada

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.