lipoatrophy-lipodistrophy

Dear Dr.G.Moyle: Is there any evidence that lipoatrophy or lipodistrophy can be reversible ?? I've started taken ZERIT (d4t) VIDEX and VIRAMUNE for 3 years, (1.999 till 2.002 ) about 2 months after becoming positive. As a consequence of the treatment after a year i got problems of lipoatrophy in my arms -buttocks ans legs then i changed ZERIT for AZT during nearly a year (2.003) not noticing any improvement at all in my lipoatrophy . Now i changed AZT for ZIAGEN since December 2003. Have done all this with my doctor's agreement. So now iam in VIDEX--VIRAMUNE- and ZIAGEN...... Is this the right combo ? to stop lipoatrophy?? and if so how long will it take more or less to see any improvement Many thanks in advance. Daniel

Response from Dr. Moyle

3 randomised controlled studies, the best evidence we can get, have shown that fat can recover after the switch nfrom d4T or AZT to Abacavir regardless of co-therapy. You/Your Doc have done the right thing. Now its a matter of patience. Most likely it will take 1-2 years until the improvements become clear. regards Graeme Moyle

sustiva plus combivir
Possible to Reverse Lipoatrophy with STI?