sustiva plus combivir

I just got my first scrip, sustiva and combivir. Is there anything I should be wary of with this combo of drugs? Concerns about lipodystrophy?

Response from Dr. Moyle

The first things to watch out for are nausea (from the AZT in combivir) and the sustiva dreams. After that you may gain 2-4lbs in weight. This regimen was, on average, not associated with fat loss over 80 weeks in one recent study. However, people taking combivir based regimens have been reported to develop lipodystrophy so it is probably not as low risk as say abacavir or tenofovor or ddI with 3TC/FTC. I would suggest sticking with it for now but changing sooner rather than later if in say 2 years time some signs of fat loss are beginning to appear

regards Graeme Moyle

Weight Loss
lipoatrophy-lipodistrophy