very distressed at lipoatrophy,PLEASE HELP!

I am a woman in my mid 30's and have been positive for 10 years. I first saw some lipoatrophy a couple of years ago at which point my doctor changed my medicines and it seemed to stop. I am now on tenofovir nevirapine and 3tc (for over a year) and the lipoatrophy has begun on my face again! Especially on my temples and my cheeks around my nose. My viral load is undetectable and CD4 between 300 and 500 (it was 24 when I started meds). I am extremely distressed and don't know what my options are in relation to new medicines and surgery. I just want to make it stop!! I have a daughter who lives with me and does not know my status so am very scared that it will become obvious, it makes me want to stop taking the meds. ANY help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Response from Dr. Moyle

The first thing to say is don't stop your meds and don't miss a dose. Studies with tenofovir and 3TC with a NNRTI, like your combo, suggest this regimen is very low risk for the development of fat loss and switching to this regimen may, anecdotally, lead to fat mass recovery. Recovery is always a very slow process and the face may be the last place where it becomes evident. It certainly sound worth discussing with your Doc whether you may benefit from some surgical filling with something like newfill, restylane or bioalcamid. Access to these vary....see other postings on this subject for advice where to go.

It may well be that you are a bit underweight at present and may benefit from dietary advice. Loss of weight even just a few pounds often makes lipoatrophy look worse....putting that weight back on improves things.

I hope this helps

regards

Graeme Moyle

First regimen
change of meds