viramune and lipodistrophy

Hello; I have been recently put on viramune, epivir and viread. My doctor seemed very worried about liver toxicity and lipodistrophy. I am going to have weekly liver enzyme tests to see how things are going. I have also been worried about the incidence of lipodistrophy with these meds. could you tell me? thanks

Response from Dr. Moyle

This combination looks low risk for lipodystrophy. In one 3 years study of viread/epivir/sustiva only 3% of persons were diagnosed as havig lipodystrophy compared with 19% on zerit/epivir/sustiva. Virammune(nevirapine) is associated with skin and liver toxicity which is potentially serious and severe. Your doctor is right to monitor your liver very carefully over the first 8 weeks of therapy, the time of greatest risk

regards

Graeme Moyle

GH deficiency?
First regimen