Feb 26, 2004
Hi, I would like to know what is cachexia (i know it's to do with an amount of weight lost in a time frame)? is it graded on severity? and how is it detected? Thanks.
Response from Dr. Moyle
Cachexia is malnutrition and wasting due to illness. It is predominatedly a protein energy deficiency state with loss of total and lean body mass. It may be assessed and graded by anthropometrics, BIA or DEXA scanning (and other more complex methods).
Facial wasting and Fuzeon
HIV + RN has three questions
- Is Loose Stool An Early Sign Of HIV?
- Sex With A Prostitute Afraid I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Vaginal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Does Washing Up After Sex Prevent Std's?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.