Feb 26, 2004
Hi, I would like to know what is cachexia (i know it's to do with an amount of weight lost in a time frame)? is it graded on severity? and how is it detected? Thanks.
Response from Dr. Moyle
Cachexia is malnutrition and wasting due to illness. It is predominatedly a protein energy deficiency state with loss of total and lean body mass. It may be assessed and graded by anthropometrics, BIA or DEXA scanning (and other more complex methods).
Facial wasting and Fuzeon
HIV + RN has three questions
- Can You Get HIV From Touching A Bloody Scab?
- Do People Catch AIDS From Blowjob From A Prostitute?
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Giving Oral Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Testicles After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Get Genital Warts From Sharing Razors Or Drinks?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.