pls pls answer -- regimen change becasue of sever side effects from nelf ddi d4t to sustiva + ??

please please answer this question ... i am having severe lipidistrophy and atrophy changes because of my regimen (sunken cheeks, thin arms,legs and large belly, starting of hump on upper back near neck). i was on azt + 3tc for 1.5 years and then nelfinavir(viracept) + d4t + ddi for the last 5.5 years. baselne cd4 = 500 and vl = 50,000. after treatment cd4 ~ 500 and vl < 50 with minor blips. since the regimen is going so well i am not eager to change. however the physical side effects are too pronounced and is leading to my staying depressed because of their severity. i am thus now considering a change but am very confused regarding the various options. could u please offer your valued opinion -- would sustiva + abacavir + another nrti/nnrti (which one ??) be a good change ? i am conciously trying to avoid PIs to limit the lipid changes. would a cocktail with nevaripine be better than one with sustiva ? can u suggest a couple of secondline treatment options. thanks a lot regards jane

Response from Dr. Moyle

Sorry to be slow to answer. The number of questions being posted is very high at present...too much for one person really

I agree it sounds like a change is necessary. Tenofovir abacavir plus sustiva sounds the right combination...i generally prefer sustiva to nevirapine...there's a bit more trials evidence and it has less problematic side effects. If you don't fancy sustiva. atazanavir would be a good option.

I hope this helps

Regards

Graeme Moyle

meds question
Kaletra, Viread and Epivir