How to get off Oxandrin

Dear Dr. Moyle:

You've mentioned on several occasions that you usually prefer that a patient get off oxandrin in favor of other similar medications. However, what is your advice on how to get off of oxandrin if a person has been taking it over two years (10 mg twice daily). When I tried to lower my dose, ever so slightly, I literally couldn't get out of bed and the depression was like nothing I've ever experienced. Any advice or suggestions on how to "get off" oxandrin? My doctor told me that I may have to be on it for life. I'm not so sure I like the sound of that. Please comment. Thanks for much for your wonderful service.

Response from Dr. Moyle

I don't like the sound of 'for life' either.

The best way is reduce to half dose then begin to replace it with testosterone gel. Continue the testosterone for a minimum of 6 weeks after then gradually reduce the testosterone. The reason you felt so flat was the lack of testosterone.

Make sure you look after your diet and exercise programme and sleep plenty to conter the effects of withdrawal. Its always going to be a bit tough getting off it. Thanks for the reminder about the risks of using these drugs

regards

Graeme Moyle

Supplements for Lipodystrophy
Finding A Doctor to prescribe an Anabolic