lipodystrophy+glucophage

I am currently on zerit, ziagen, and epivir. I've been on zerit and epivir for 5years+ and ziagen for 1+1/2 years.My numbers are good tcells around 350 and viral load undetectable. I was diagnosed in '89 and feel good. I just have the large stomach with very thin face arms and legs. I have been on glucophage 500mgs twice daily for about 3 mos. From what I've been reading I would like to increase the glucophage to 850 mgs 3 times daily. Do you think this is safe and worth trying? I would only do this if my doctor agrees. We're just trying to get more info before making any changes. Thank you, T.S. in Hernando Beach

Response from Dr. Moyle

Dear Hernando, the stduies with metformin to reduce abdominal fat were done with 500mg bd, as you are taking now. Increasing to higher doses would only be needed if you are diabetic and you diabetic control not good enough...the first step would be to get to 850 bd. Regards you combo, it is worth talking to your doctor about switching away from d4T....AZT and tenofvir may not be ideal replacements for you so you may have to use a drug from another family, like efavirenz or atazanavir, as a replacement. This may help bot lose central fat and very slowly regain body and face fat regards Graeme Moyle

Anthropometry in HIV wasting
MARIJUANA SMOKING