Wasting in Face and Buttox

My question is related to my facial wasting and the loss of muscle in the gluteus maximus.

I am 40 years old, 5ft 11in, 150lbs

Have been positive for 8 years started loosing quite a bit of weight 5 years ago. (From 165 to 145 in two years)

I currently have what is termed "severe facial wasting" and have lost a lot of muscle mass throughout the body in particular my bottom.

I am on Nevirapine and Kaletra for nine months now as part of a wasting study at Northwestern University (I stated this 10 months ago) but do not see any signicant difference and believe I am still wasting in the face.

As for the butt. I work our regularly (some cardio but mostly weights)and concentrate on the legs and gluts to no avail. (I have a hard time keeping my weight at 150)

Any suggestions?

Boy with the bony ass.

Response from Dr. Moyle

Dear BWTBA, I am sure you will need to wait more than 9 months on your new regimen to see improvements in your body shape. I think for tour own well being investigating a facial filler of some sort is worth while....see the body's pages on lipodystrophy for advice on fillers. Regards your weight loss and buttocks it would be worth investigating some growth hormone treatment....you should qualify under 'wasting' guidelines (10% involuntary weight loss). This should help you gain some weight and in my experience is good for improving buttock tone fairly durably. GH is an infectable and may give some general aches and pains, fluid retention effects during treatment. Your doctor will monitor blood sugars during treatment. Otherwise, keep up the focussed exercise and get some dietart advice on gaining weight. Most of all, stick with your new regimen regards Graeme Moyle

Restyline
Anthropometry in HIV wasting