Regaining fat in the wrong places

Hi Dr. Moyle, Approximatly 5 months ago my doctor changed my meds due to increasing viral load, drop in t-cell count and lipodystrophy. At that time I weighed 147lbs. The new meds are fuzion, reyataz, norvir, azt and viread. I have continued to watch what I eat. Today I got weighed and have gained an enormous amount of weight. I now weigh 164 and the majority of that weight has gone to my stomach and back. My hump is also reappearing. Do you have any suggestions on what move to make now? Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give and thanks for you service to this site. DS

Response from Dr. Moyle

Its often the case that when you go onto new more effective therapy you gain weight but it sounds like you hvae gained more than most. Clearly any changes to your medication will be dependent on your virus' resistance pattern and infact your doctor has chosen drugs that generally don't associate with excess fat gain. In the absence of any hormonal abnormalities, which your doctor can check the main approach should be diet and exercise...watching what you eat, having plenty of fibre and oily fish and regular 'cardio' type exercise. This should keep the changes in check while your body settles in to the new medications and your improved health. Regards Graeme

Do I have hypogonadism?
questions on your answers