The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do I have hypogonadism?
Jan 8, 2004

I am a 26 year old male. I have ha few or no erections my entire life I have a history of anorexia, bulimia and took Haldol for a misdiaganosed case of schizophrenia. For a period of roughly one year I took a monthly Haldol injection and took the medicine orally due to a miscommunication between doctors. I have poor muscle tone (especially pecs), what I consider small testicles and penis, my body hair has never seemed as thick as other males my age, facial hair does not grow very rapidly. I can get a partial erection and have intercourse, but I usually lose the erection during sex and usually do not ejaculate. My fiancee believes that my penis is not underdeveloped but that my testicles are a bit shrunken. I was put on 4mg of Testoderm in January of 2003, but the patches tended to fall off and the doctor only kept me on them for approximately 1 month and I felt them to be ineffective.I currently take 300 mg of Luvox daily for depression. This condition has existed my entire life.

Response from Dr. Moyle

Your doctor should check your total and free testosteron, prolactin, LH and FSH hormones in order to assess this problem. He may then consider referal to a hormone specialist (endochrinologist) to futhre investigate and treat as appropriate. As for testosterone supplements, gels are often better than patches Rgeards Graeme Moyle

Regaining fat in the wrong places

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint