Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

sunken checks
Jan 2, 2004

I have got Sunken Cheeks (hollow in cheeks) My face looks very bad. I am 23. Please help me because I am very sad. I desperately want to improve my sunken cheeks. I didn't used any HIV medications.Please tell me what do I eat more or if there any medicen can help me please write name of that to make my cheeks fat. I am waiting for your reply. Sultan.

Response from Dr. Moyle

Dear Sultan, If you have lost weight all over (although it may be most noticable in your face) without ever havng HIV meds then it sounds like you are wasting or experiencing involuntary weight loss. This may be a sign that you need to start HIV meds but could be related to an infection or an insufficiency of calories in your diet. I would suggest that you have an evaluation from a dietitian and talk to you HIV doctor about you weight loss and you current disease markers (CD4, Viral load). He may also wish to check some hormones like thyroid, testosterone, etc If you have simply lost weight some dietary advice and increasing your calorie intake is all that is needed. Kind regards Graeme Moyle

Previous
sir a question on wasting from india,please answer!
Next
Moon-face Lipodystrophy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.